Oyster Shell Bagging – Coastal Louisiana Reef RestorationDate: April 13, 2019
Time: 9:00 am
Location: Buras, LA 70041
The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) is excited to have you join us in Buras, LA! Launched in June 2014, CRCL’s Oyster Shell Recycling Program recycles shell from participating New Orleans-based restaurants and uses that shell to restore oyster reefs and shoreline habitat across Coastal Louisiana. As a volunteer, you will help prepare the shell for a future restoration. Volunteers will place the recycled shell into bags that will later be stacked on barges and transported to oyster reef restoration sites. By helping prep the shell, volunteers will play a role in creating a new oyster reef that will allow for the growth of new oysters, create new fish habitat, and act as a wave break which will knock down storm surge and allow new land to build up behind the reef.
- Directions and additional details will be provided to registered volunteers via e-mail a few days prior to the event.
- The drive to Buras is more environmentally friendly and fun with friends! If you are interested in carpooling, please post to our message board (click here). If you can offer a ride, please include the capacity of your vehicle and where you are driving from.
- Volunteer check-in will be from 9:00 to 9:30 am.
- Please note the minimum age for volunteers is 18. No one under 18 will be allowed to participate in any capacity, sorry, no exceptions.
- All equipment (gloves, shovels, mesh bags) as well as snacks and drinks will be provided to volunteers.
We require that all volunteers please register to let us know if you plan to attend. If any additional members of your family/friends are attending, then they must also register. You can register to volunteer at the bottom of this page.
Volunteering on our coast is wonderful way to spend a day and we would like to ensure that everyone gets a chance to have a great experience.
- If, after registering, you find you are unable to attend, please notify us of your cancellation.
- If the event registration is full, you can be added to a waiting list.
- If you’d like to bring a group to volunteer, please let us know, and we’ll try our best to accommodate you.
For inquiries about any of the above, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org