Job Opening: Communications Associate, Restore the Mississippi River Delta Coalition
Location: New Orleans, LA
Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 22 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 46 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Restore the Mississippi River Delta Coalition is working to protect people, wildlife and jobs by reconnecting the river with its wetlands. As our region faces the crisis of threatening land loss, we offer science-based solutions through a comprehensive approach to restoration. Composed of conservation, policy, science and outreach experts from Environmental Defense Fund, National Audubon Society, National Wildlife Federation, Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana and Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation, we are located in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Washington, D.C.; and around the United States.
The Communications Associate will play a key role in building awareness and support both in Louisiana and nationwide for restoration of the Mississippi River Delta on behalf of National Audubon Society, Environmental Defense Fund, and National Wildlife Federation, as well as in collaboration with regional partners Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana and Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation. S/He will support a variety of communications projects through regular reporting on team deliverables, monitoring coverage in the media and other channels, as well as facilitating effective team workflow and operations.The Communications Associate will help develop a wide range of campaign materials across web and print, as well as manage and maintain the Coalition-branded website and social media properties.
While the Communications Associate will be on staff of the National Audubon Society, subject to all its human resource policies and benefits, s/he will have a primary reporting role to the joint campaign’s Communications Committee and help support all of its member organizations.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communications work plans supporting Mississippi River Delta restoration goals.
- Serve as the team coordinator for the Communications Committee of the Restore the Mississippi River Delta Coalition
- Manage Communications Committee functions, including project tracking, weekly meeting agendas and follow-up and team reporting.
- Create a wide range of communications materials for distribution across a variety of platforms and for diverse audiences, with the goal of building support for Coalition priorities; leveraging graphic design expertise where necessary.
- Manage content on campaign website, blog and social media properties; working with campaign staff to design, create, edit, and regularly update multimedia pages on the site; analyze website statistics.
- Develop strategies for reaching new audiences on Coalition social media properties, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, as well as identify potential emerging platforms and innovative techniques for reaching target audiences.
- Distribute strategic communications to key media contacts as well as Coalition email subscribers.
- Monitor media coverage and social media for relevant stories and features relating to the campaign, compile and distribute daily news highlights, as well as execute comprehensive coverage reports.
- Assist senior communications staff with coordination, execution and documentation of media events.
- Help track and report team budget and expenditures.
- Support senior communications staff as needed in achieving strategic team and coalition goals.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing or other related field.
- 2-4 years’ experience in public relations, journalism or other communications or marketing-related field, with a demonstrated record of success.
- Experience in project management and coordination required.
- Demonstrated time-management skills, attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Experience in developing engaging print and online communications materials for a wide range of audiences. Must possess a strength for multiplatform storytelling and demonstrated success leveraging a wide variety of social media platforms and innovative tactics to engage and reach supporters.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Must write quickly and well under pressure.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information clearly to many audiences.
- Proactive, self-starter able to get things accomplished with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong proficiency in a wide range of digital platforms and programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, WordPress, Google Analytics, CisionPoint/Vocus, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Engaging Networks, Convio or similar email management system.
- Nice to have: Photography, sound and video recording and editing capabilities; experience in the nonprofit sector on issues related to conservation; knowledge of Louisiana and its people/geography/history/environment.
- Must be willing to travel, as well as commit to some evening and weekend work as needed.
- Valid driver’s license required.