Job opening: Communications Coordinator, Mississippi River Delta Restoration Campaign
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Title: Communications Coordinator
Type: Regular, Full-Time Position
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Communications Coordinator for the Mississippi River Delta Restoration Campaign will play a key role in building nationwide awareness and support for restoration of the Mississippi River Delta on behalf of the National Audubon Society, Environmental Defense Fund and the National Wildlife Federation. The coordinator will work closely with other staff members to create and produce content for web and print, conduct media outreach and distribute key information to campaign staff. While the coordinator will work under the National Audubon Society, subject to all its human resource policies and benefits, s/he will have a primary reporting role to the director of the campaign collaborative (Derek Brockbank), who operates under supervision of a joint steering committee.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a communications work plan supporting Mississippi River Delta restoration goals.
- Create and execute a wide range of communications tactics, including web and electronic communications, print collateral, media outreach, public opinion research, and social marketing.
- Manage content on the campaign website, working with science, policy, and other communications staff to create, compile, edit, post, and organize multimedia resources on the site.
- Create and publish posts to the campaign blog, proactively identifying emerging news stories, important topics, and evergreen resources in conjunction with science, policy, and other communications staff.
- Monitor the media, web news sources, and social media for news stories and features relating to the campaign, compiling news clippings to inform campaign staff, building reports of campaign coverage, and identifying opportunities for media outreach and communications strategies.
- Assist other communications staff with preparing materials for the press and with outreach and pitching to reporters, editors, and producers.
- Facilitate the timely coordination of communications among key collaborative partners and help track progress toward key deliverables under the work plan.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field required.
- Three years of experience in public relations, journalism or other communications and marketing fields with a demonstrated record of success.
- Experience in planning and executing web-based communications campaigns and other electronic communications products; experience with environmental campaigns and with social media preferred.
- Ability to maintain strong and productive relationships with media, coalition staff, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Exceptional writing, reporting and editing skills. Must write quickly and well under pressure.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information clearly to many audiences in writing, one-on-one, and in formal presentations.
- Exceptional time-management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Regular travel required.
- Valid driver’s license required