Job Opening: Communications Summer Intern, National Audubon Society
Audubon’s Wings internship program invites students and recent graduates to help shape a healthy environment and vibrant future for birds – and all of us who share the planet with them. Audubon currently has an opportunity for you to expand your Wings in Audubon’s Communications Internship!
The Communications Intern will be based in New Orleans, LA, working on Audubon’s Restore the Mississippi River Delta campaign. The campaign is comprised of staff from National Audubon Society, Environmental Defense Fund, National Wildlife Federation, Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana and Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation, working collaboratively to restore the Mississippi River Delta.
This position will support the Communications Director and Communications Associate in implementing outreach strategies that further the goals of the campaign. This is a great opportunity for a motivated college student or recent graduate to gain firsthand knowledge of public relations and advocacy by working on a fast-paced team supporting a dynamic campaign. This internship will provide insight into effective storytelling and materials development, media outreach and relations, event production, social media and other necessary tools of the trade.
This is a part-time paid internship opportunity, working approximately 28 hours per week from May 15, 2015 through August 15, 2015. The position reports to the Communications Director.
Internship responsibilities will include:
- Collecting and reporting media coverage, with an eye toward building a framework for effectively tracking media stories over time.
- Gathering and organizing multimedia campaign assets for easy access and use by campaign staff.
- Developing and updating media and influencer lists to ensure relevant outreach of targeted campaign messages.
- Creating a framework for tracking important metrics, such as site visitors and engagement, social media growth and other key measurements.
- Identifying and drafting unique and compelling blog posts and other communications materials that highlight the core messages of the campaign.
- Supporting Communications Director and Communications Associate in executing events and managing logistics.
- Documenting in-person meetings and events through photos and videos for sharing.
- Other activities or projects as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a communications or marketing degree preferred. Undergraduate in 3rd or 4th year.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Superior organizational skills; attention to detail a must.
- Proactive, polished and professional, confident in communication with executive leaders.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Adobe Premiere or similar video-editing software, a variety of social media platforms, and CisionPoint a plus.