#makeBPpay National Day of Action
Our national #makeBPpay Twitter Day of Action is here!
Despite BP’s advertising campaigns to the contrary, the gulf is still suffering from the 2010 spill. Last week, it was announced that 565,000 pounds of oil had washed ashore during Hurricane Isaac. Earlier this month, a three-mile long sheen of oil appeared in the gulf near the Macondo well. Additionally, some reports suggest that BP is negotiating a settlement offer significantly less than half of what they would face at trial. This is unacceptable.
It’s time for BP to stop hiding behind commercials and statements of “robust recovery” and truly commit to making things right for the people and environment of the gulf. BP must pay the maximum fines for which they are liable for the 2010 BP oil spill – now. The Gulf Coast’s ecosystems and communities depend on it.
Be sure to include the #makeBPpay hashtag as well as tagging @BP_America and @TheJusticeDept in your tweets.
Click on any of the links below to share these tweets on Twitter and to show your support!
Sample kickoff messages to begin the Twitter Day of Action:
- Join the #makeBPpay National Day of Action: tell @BP_America to pay up for the #oilspill! @TheJusticeDept @RestoreDelta http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- National Day of Action: Tell @BP_America to pay the maximum fines for which they are liable. #makeBPpay @TheJusticeDept http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
Sample tweets to send throughout the Twitter Day of Action:
- Tell @BP_America you won’t accept anything but the maximum penalty on oil spill settlement! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- Tell @TheJusticeDept: #makeBPpay the maximum fines. Don’t settle for less! @BP_America must be held accountable http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- Tell @BP_America to stop shortchanging the gulf! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay via @RestoreDelta Please RT! http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- Restore wildlife, people & jobs: Tell @BP_America to pay the maximum $$ for the #oilspill. @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- It’s time @BP_America pays up. Accept responsibility for the #oilspill. Make the gulf whole! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- .@BP_America stop hiding behind claims of “robust recovery.” Make things right in the gulf! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- .@BP_America you can’t walk away from responsibility! Pay the maximum Clean Water Act fines! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- Tell @BP_America: Stop cheating the gulf. Pay the full amount in #oilspill fines. @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- People & wildlife of the gulf need your voice. Tell @BP_America: take full responsibility! @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
- It’s time for @BP_America to make the gulf whole. Pay the maximum penalty for the oil spill. @TheJusticeDept #makeBPpay http://bit.ly/RXkUcT
Here are some sample actions and news articles you can include in your tweets.
- Change.org petition: Tell @BP_America to stop stalling and pay up! #makeBPpay
- Environmental Defense Fund: Take Action: Tell BP To Stop Stalling, Take Responsibility, and Pay Up
- National Wildlife Federation: Demand Justice for Dolphins in the Gulf
- The Times-Picayune: About 565,000 pounds of oiled material from Deepwater Horizon stirred up by Hurricane Isaac
- National Geographic: BP Oil Spill’s Sticky Remnants Wash Up Sporadically On Gulf Beaches
- The Atlantic: The Long Shadow of the BP Oil Spill Keeps Killing Baby Birds
- The Washington Post: Previously unreleased photographs show impact of BP oil on endangered sea turtles
- The Orlando Sentinel: Dolphin die-off tied to Gulf oil spill, other factors, study suggests
- The Washington Post: BP oil spill hastened loss of Louisiana marshes, study says
- The Times-Picayune: BP oil spill dispersants may have hurt Gulf of Mexico food chain, study finds